Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 15 - June 2

Well, my list of things of cataloging projects is coming to an end. I added some fields that were needed for Paul Kannowski - there were some of his works that were published that were donated to the library; he is a UND alumni and professor for many years here at UND. After I added those notes, I got to see how children's and young adult literature is cataloged here at the library.
A long time ago, there was a library school here for about 10 years or so in the 1960s. With that being said, there were children's and young adult literature that was collected. After the library school here got the ax from the university, all the books needed to go somewhere and they were moved over here to the main library. The main collection of the library is done with Library of Congress classification. This collection however is done with Dewey. (Or at least that's how I remember what Joan was telling me. She's the one who gets to catalog all those items. How fun!)
One really cool thing that I learned was more ways to search OCLC for records. A lot of fields of what is needed for regular books are pretty much the same, such as a 100 or 245 field. Fields that are added to children's / young adults records are 520, 521 and 082/092 fields (well and 700 for illustrators.)
Anywhoozers, searching in OCLC:
to search an author, you need the first 4 letters of the last name, first 3 letters of the first name and middle initial.
to search the title, you need the first 3 letters of the first word of the title, first 2 letters of the second word, first 2 letters of the third word and first letter of the fourth word.
Author and Title search, first four letters of the authors last name (comma) and first four letters of the title.
Corporate bodies, such as American Quarter Horse Association, can be searched as well, but there are some stop words. Stop words are ones that there are so many of them that its not searched, such as American or Society.
/ can be used as well with years or types of materials that are being searched. / can be used multiple times.
(Very useful way of searching if you ask me!) I did learn some more way of how you can search WorldCat Local as well with the advanced and expert search. He uses this at time to see what is not held by the library for developing the collection in his areas.
There was another reference meeting today as well. I showed the reference librarians my LibGuide of the Online Reference Tools. There were other issues that they discussed in the meeting as well such as funding and things specific to the library.
Afterward, I was at the desk again and worked on LibGuides for and the reference binder that is here at the desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment